Our first annual Night of Honor award ceremony and gala fundraiser is taking place at the Post Falls American Legion Post 143. We're asking the community to nominate a veteran or first responder for an opportunity to be publicly honored with an award for demonstrating character excellence.
There will be seven veterans and first responders honored with awards at the award ceremony that night and we want YOU to tell us who in our community should receive this award.
1. Veteran of the United States armed forces (Marine Corps, Navy, Army, Air Force, and Coast Guard).
Veteran has the meaning given the term in 38 U.S.C. 101(2). A Reservist or member of the National Guard called to Federal active duty or disabled from a disease or injury incurred or aggravated in line of duty or while in training status also qualify as a veteran.
2. Must have an honorable, "other than honorable," or medical discharge from the service
38 U.S.C. § 101(2) provides: The term "veteran" means a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service, and who was discharged or released therefrom under conditions other than dishonorable.
Dishonorably discharged veterans will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
3. Must have completed basic training.
4. Volunteer or Employed First Responder (law enforcement, firefighter, EMT, paramedic, dispatcher, or chaplain)
Must have completed training.
5. Nominee can be male or female.